Re: Weird time-zone oscillation

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 08:31:41PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 03:25:05AM -0600, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > Dear Debian user,
> >
> > I have a weird time-zone related issue on my machine. I observed that
> > the "alarm-clock" package was always ignoring my requests for an alarm
> > within an hour from now, and all other alarms used to go off with an
> > hour to spare.
>
> When exactly does the alarm-clock program use the time-zone data?

Always. The source code tells me that it stores the time you want the
alarm to activate, and there's a thread which computes the differences
between the current time and that time. All of these happen in the
current time in the current time-zone, as opposed to UTC.

Kumar

P. S. I used debootstrap to create another chroot, and there, I don't
see this problem at all. Which is weird, since it has the same version
of glib.
--
> You know you are "there" when you are known by your first name, and
> are recognized.
> Lemmie see, there is Madonna, and Linus, and ..... help me out here!

Bill ? ;-)
		-- From some postings on comp.os.linux.misc