Re: how to reset scd0

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:56:41AM -0500, Hugh Lawson wrote:

> >> Generally, when faced with a dilemma whether an issue is hardware- or
> >> software- related, I boot up a live CD or two. Any odd Ubuntu will do.
> >
> > Ok, but in which way would doing this help? I haven't changed the
> > software, and it was working before I tried to write a DVD RW.
>
> Consider the logic:
>
> The problem is considered either software or hardware.
>
> Boot a live cd that restarts everything from square one.
>
> If the problem disappears, then suspect software, because of
> functionality under diff. software.
>
> If the problem recurs, suspect hardware.

Yeah, but in this case, the logic is flawed:

1.) I don't have a live cd to boot from, and I can't create one
because the burner doesn't work.

2.) When using a live CD, the software involved is still pretty much
identical. I can't tell exactly how identical, but there's kernel
configuration involved plus some userspace software to actually burn a
media. Now the kernel is very much the same (mostly the configuration
would be different, but not the kernel itself), and I wouldn't expect
much difference is the userspace software, either.

3.) The software didn't change, and it has been working before I tried
to use a DVD RW. Since this isn't windoze but Linux, software doesn't
suddenly quit working for no reason.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's hardware. I took the burner to the
dealer, and they're going to check it. But I got another one for the
meantime, and it's working.

Having that said: Changing the hardware proves that the software is
working. Changing the software to another software (which is very
similar to the software used before) would not prove weather the
hardware is working or not.

If I had had a live CD to boot from, it would have been worth a try,
of course :)