[Update] Re: Permissions on USB drive unchangeable

I have a large external USB hard drive on which I store back ups and media files. When last I went to write something to this drive it worked fine. Now the permissions have been changed so that I only have access to the drive but am unable to write to it. Therefore, I cannot do back ups nor can I create new directories, etc.

<snip>

I think that this is related to the Gnome DE somehow. I logged out and into LXDE, created a directory in the affected file system and logged back into Gnome. Now I can access the directories and write to them as well.

I don't understand this, and I didn't do anything other than what I've previously described - but now root is owner of /media/* whereas previously (i.e. before logging into LXDE) it didn't accept the changes.