Re: Problems with Xorg in squeeze after update

On 09-12-09 14:12:06, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> Hi, Tony.
>
> On Tuesday, 08 December 2009 15:17:04 -0500,
> Tony Nelson wrote:
>
> > > I was testing with driver "vesa". I slightly change the
> > > configuration in xorg.conf.new to test and I add some modes
> > > becausewhen doing the test I get the message 'not valid modes':
> >
> > > This is the (very long) /var/log/Xorg.0.log file:
> > > (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
> > > (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
> > > (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
> > > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
> > > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC Level none
> > > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 0 sec.
> > > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC read failed
> > > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE PanelID read successfully
> > > (II) VESA(0): PanelID returned panel resolution -494x-29972
> >
> > This can't be good.  Resolution should be positive numbers.
> >
> > > (II) VESA(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 31.50--1849.09 kHz
> >
> > This can't be good.  Frequencies should be positive numbers.
>
> > I think you have to file a bug.  Be prepared to supply lots of
> > info, including Xorg logs for both drivers.
>
> This is truly problematic for my, because it is my workstation of
> house which I use also to work in my house.
>
> I don't know if there is to use some type of standard structure to
> provide information,

It's called a "bug report", and can be filed using the reportbug
command (see <http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting>).

> but the problem that you comment only seems to
> be with 'vesa' drivers rather than 'nv' and 'nvidia', although with
> these other two I could not either make work X.

All right, then file bugs for each driver.

> > Umm, don't recall, have you tried "nomodeset" as a kernel param
> > during boot?
>
> I'm not using that kernel parameter. Would have to try it or you
> asked to me because this parameter can cause problems?

I suggest you try it -- and Google is your friend.

> I'm using GRUB2. I not yet know much on the configuration of this
> GRUB version, but apparently it is only being applied 'noapic' and
> 'quiet' according to I see in /etc/default/grub:

Wrong file.  See GRUB2's info page (probably `info grub2` or `info
grub`).  Learn how to gain control of booting and edit the kernel
command line, and also how to choose which stanza to use to boot.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>