Re: How to hibernate from the command line without typing password

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:02:11 +0000
chombee <chombee@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 02:10:38PM -0500, Celejar wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:57:21 +0000
> > chombee <chombee@lavabit.com> wrote:

> > > Gnome desktop. You can send a signal via dbus asking for the computer to
> > > be hibernated with the following command:
> > >
> > >     dbus-send --session --dest=org.freedesktop.PowerManagement --type=method_call /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement org.freedesktop.PowerM    anagement.Hibernate

> > > I also saved the command as an executable script called 'hibernate' so
> > > that I can hibernate from the command line by just typing hibernate.
> >
> > I don't recall the earlier thread, but what's wrong with the
> > 'hibernate' command from the 'acpi-support' package, or 's2disk' from
> > the 'usswsusp' package?
>
> I have acpi-support installed but don't seem to have a hibernate
> command, could take a closer look at the package I guess. I also have

Sorry, my mistake - it's in the package 'hibernate'.

> usswsusp installed but I think the s2disk command must be run with sudo,
> so you have to type your password.

Of course it must be run as root - why would a linux system allow an
arbitrary user the power to suspend the system!  If you want to avoid
typing a password, then you need to configure sudo to allow your user
to use that command without a password.  This is what Xfce, for
example, recommends:

<Quote>

"I'm unable to shutdown or restart my computer when running Xfce.

There are two way to fix this: sudo and hal/dbus. Default starting from
version 4.4 is hal.

Using sudo

You have to allow the user(s) to execute
$installdir/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper with sudo. Install sudo and
run visudo (root) and add the following line (replace prefix with the
correct path):

 %users ALL = NOPASSWD:<prefix>/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

Add the user to the users group (root):

 gpasswd -a <username> users

When you logout and login again, the shutdown and restart buttons
should be sensitive. For more information you can referrer to the
xfce4-session and sudo documentation.

Using hal and dbus

Make sure that the hal and dbus daemons are started on boot, and that
you are running a recent version of dbus (at least 1.1). Refer to your
distribution for exact steps.

In the steps below the groupname “power” is used. This is DEPENDING ON
YOUR DISTRIBUTION.

Your /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf should contain a section similar to this:

<policy group="power">
  <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
</policy>

Add the user to the power group (root):

 gpasswd -a <username> power

When you logout and login again, the shutdown and restart buttons should be sensitive.

</Quote>

http://wiki.xfce.org/faq

As you can see above, the dbus method that you're using also requires a
dbus policy + adding yourself to a specific group.

Celejar