Re: v. elementary problem installing Lexmark z600 printer driver on Lenny

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:30:09 +0000
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 04 December 2009 13:54:22 Celejar wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 11:40:30 +0000
> >
> > Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > But I came unstuck at:
> > > $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
> > > which produced the following error: (the gap between the command and the
> > > error message was put there by Bash)
> > >
> > > dorothy@Lenny:~/Downloads/z600$ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz
> > >
> > > gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> > > tar: Child returned status 1
> > > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> > > dorothy@Lenny:~/Downloads/z600$
> > >
> > > I am now stuck.  I realise that this is elementary and have spent a lot
> > > of time trying to solve it myself (Google etc.), but I need help!
> >
> > Well, AFAIK, this generally means exactly what it says, that the file
> > you're providing tar with is not actually in gzip format.
>
> I know!  But I am as at a loss as to what to do about it.
>
> > Presumably
> > something is wrong with the file you created in the previous step.
> > Post the source of these directions and the location of the file you're
> > working on so we can take a look for ourselves?
>
> Thanks, Celejar.

> http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=answers&startover=y&question=z600+linux&locale=EN&productCode=LEXMARK_Z605&segment=DOWNLOAD&us
>
> Sorry - it is very long.  You may have to copy and paste.  Alternatively,

Hey, if your mailer doesn't break the link, neither will Sylph - this
is quality free software we're talking about :)

> click on <here> on the Ubuntu Forums page above.  It seems sometimes to go
> through to the Window drivers, but entering "600 linux" in the search panel
> gets the rest of the way through.
>
> I really would be extremely grateful for some help.

Just run the tail command with '-n +143' instead of 141 and you'll get
a valid gzip archive; I haven't gone further than that.

FTR, what I did was simple enough: just open the file using, say,
'view' ('vi -R'), and skim through it to see where the readable text
ends and the binary part begins.  The first line containing the binary
data then needs to be passed to tail, as above.

Celejar