Re: Quick and dirty "debian live" on USB stick.

>> > I guess the "better way" is to read (and digest) whatever udev doc is
>> > available and run enough tests, possibly with differenty hardware, and
>> > get an in-depth understanding of how it really works.
>>
>> I understand just fine how it works: when the network interface is
>> discovered (typically at boot), udev is asked to choose a name for
>> that interface.  And /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
>> then saves the result as a new rule in
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules that associates that
>> interface's MAC address with the name that was chosen.
>> There are 2 consequences:
>> 1- next time this interface is found, the same name will be used (good).
>> 2- when another interface is found, another name will be chosen: not so
>> good, when you use your install on many different machines, since then
>> each machine's interface will get a different interface name, even
>> though they'll never be present at the same time.
>>
>> So I use a boot-time rule which erases
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules so the name is chosen anew
>> each time (and will basically always be eth0).
>>
> Except for wireless interfaces, which I've seen labeled as ethX, wlanX,
> raX, etc.

That's another issue: the base name is provided by the driver.
Most drivers included in the vanilla kernel use wlanX nowadays, but
older ones or drivers provided from elsewhere (or not yet
well-integrated) often use other names.

For that I added a udev file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-monnier.rules that
overrides the default names.  I've used rules like:

   kernel=="eth*", SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="ipw3945", NAME="wlan0"
   kernel=="ath*", SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="madwifi", NAME="wlan0"

-- Stefan