Re: Unstable, LVM and Grub2: "error: you need to load the kernel first"

Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> wrote:
> at the moment 'grub-pc' is broken in sid. When you have a separate /boot
> partition, the package generates a wrong '/boot/grub/grub.cfg'. Look at
> the BTS for bug #558042. There is also the workaround for the problem.

grub-pc is broken when you have a separate /boot partition for any
distribution see for example:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/442631

Both the "set root=..." and the "search ..." lines point to / rather
than to /boot.

You can create a correct menuentry in 40_custom and re-run grub-mkconfig.