Re: how to renew a security certificate?

* Nick Douma <n.douma@nekoconeko.nl> 28.11.2009
> Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Boyd Stephen Smith, Jr.:
> >
> >> Who set up the dovecot installtion?  Dovecot doesn't use a certificate by
> >> default, so the person that generated the cert and got it signed would be the
> >> best source of information on the cert.
> >
> > dovecot-common's postinst in etch automatically generates a
> > certificate which is valid for one year.  Not sure about lenny.
>
> Pretty sure lenny does it as well. I run lenny on my server with with
> IMAPS and I don't recall creating a certificate.

And when the certificate is after one year no more valid, it's simple to
generate a new one. From /usr/share/doc/dovecot.common/README.Debian:

How to regenerate your self-signed SSL certificate

In order to regenerate the self-signed SSL certificate for dovecot, you
have to remove both the old certificate and the old key, and then
reconfigure the package dovecot-common.

For example, in a standard installation:

# rm /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
# dpkg-reconfigure dovecot-common

Or one can generate a certificate with openssl by himself:

openssl req -new -x509 -days 3650 -nodes -out /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem \
-keyout /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem

The command above gives you a certificate which is valid for 10 years.

Hth Michael

--
Death is just God's way of dropping carrier.