Horizontal scroll (synaptics) only works for root?

Hi!

I have a ThinkPad T61 running the latest Debian unstable.

I have a synaptics touchpad.  I have it set up to send vertical and
horizontal scroll events using xorg.conf, thusly:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "TouchPad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "Buttons"               "7"
        Option          "XAxisMapping"          "6 7"
        Option          "SHMConfig"             "true"

        Option          "LeftEdge"              "1700"
        Option          "RightEdge"             "5000"
        Option          "TopEdge"               "1700"
        Option          "BottomEdge"            "4200"
        Option          "FingerHigh"            "30"
        Option          "FingerLow"             "25"

        Option          "HorizEdgeScroll"       "1"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "80"
        Option          "VertScrollDelta"       "120"
        Option          "CircularScrolling"     "true"
        Option          "CircScrollTrigger"     "3"
        # CircScrollDelta breaks everything:
        # Option          "CircScrollDelta"       "0.001"

        # Disable using it as a mouse.  Scroll only!
        Option          "AccelFactor"           "0"
        Option          "MaxTapTime"            "0"
        Option          "MaxDoubleTapTime"      "0"
        Option          "ClickTime"             "0"
        Option          "MaxTapMove"            "0"
        Option          "MinSpeed"              "0"
        Option          "MaxSpeed"              "0"
        Option          "EdgeMotionMinSpeed"    "0"
        Option          "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed"    "0"
        Option          "EdgeMotionUseAlways"   "0"
        # Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2" "9 10"
EndSection

That works great--as root.  It was working for normal users too, but
no longer.  I believe it may have been around the time of the KDE4
upgrade that it stopped working for normal users.

xev lists vertical (button 4 and 5) scroll events.  If I do "startx --
:1" as root either from within X or a console, xev has no problem
seeing oodles of horizontal (button 6 and 7) events.  But for my user
account, xev lists nothing at all when I touch the touchpad in this
way, although all other functionality is there.

I could understand if my user account were running a program that
remapped buttons 6 and 7 to not do anything, but the X events should
still come through, shouldn't they?

I don't know where to begin!  A recursive "grep -i HorizScroll" in ~
doesn't turn anything up.  ~/.Xmodmap doesn't contain anything that
could possibly interfere--just makes CapsLock another Control key.
I've tried google, I've searched this mailing list, but apparently my
search-fu is weak.

Any pointers as to what could be making the X events disappear would
be greatly appreciated!  It beats doing a bunch of X restarts with
different parts of .kde, .local, .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, and
who-knows-what-else disabled...

Many thanks for any pointers (haha) you can provide!
-Ben