Re: aptitude question

In <[🔎] 379702.58711.qm@web24703.mail.ird.yahoo.com>, Neo Anderson wrote:
>env: debian unstable/ kernel 2.6.31/ dpkg 1.15.5.3 (i386)/ apt 0.7.24 for
> i386 compiled on Sep 25 2009 20:05:59
>
>I try to exec `aptitude upgarde` ,but it hangs at the step
>
>Setting up grub-pc (2009xxx) ...
>
>even if I try to run sudp dkpg --configure -a
>
>it hangs at that step as well.
>
>However, there is no problem if I run `apt-get upgrade`

apt-get makes less of an effort to "clean up" the current package statuses.
Whether that is good or not is debatable.

>What may cause this problem? Or is there any log I can check so that I can
> report bug (if it is)?

One of the {pre,post}{inst,rm} scripts for grub-pc is hanging.  First,
determine which one, then file a bug.  Next, find out what line in the shell
script is causing the problem, probably by using "set -x" at the top of the
script.  From these, the grub-pc maintainer will probably have to give you
direction.