Re: Creating a USB key to install debian

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
<eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
>> - Copy boot.img.gz:
>> $ wget http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/hd-media/boot.img.gz
>> $ zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb1
>>

> You should copy the imagem to the disk, not to a partition:
>
> zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb

lol ! That was the key !

> You'll probably need to be root to do that.

It did not work for me as normal user.

>> - When command return, check status of disk:
>> $ sudo cfdisk /dev/sdb1
>>
> Partition tables also belong to the disk, not to the first partition, so
> you should run cfdisk /dev/sdb.

The next time I mounted the usb key, it properly showed up under
/media/Debian Inst. But again cfdisk believe the partion is corrupted:

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 0: Partition begins after end-of-disk

 Press any key to exit cfdisk

This is just for reference so that other people are not surprised.
Even with this error message, I could use this USB Key to at boot time
on a PC.

Thank you very much for catching my mistake !

--
Mathieu