Re: copying files from home directory on one machine to directory on another machine

Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
G'day,

I'd appreciate somebody pointing me where to look for info on how to copy files from a home directory on one machine to a directory on another machine via network.

I've got about 100GB of data I need to copy from my desktop running ubuntu 9.04 on to a laptop running Debian Squeeze which are both at my home.

I'm not even sure how to word it in just a few words so I can google it.

Maybe simplest way is using 'ssh'. You can also use 'rsync', but if you've never used either before then learning about 'ssh' is arguably more important than learning 'rsync'.

First read this:
http://wiki.debian.org/ssh

Then read about 'scp' (included with 'ssh'):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_copy

HTH,
Dave W.