Re: VirtualBox or VMware?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:00:45 -0800
"David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> Ken Heard wrote:
>
> > I would appreciate opinions on the relative advantages/disadvantages of these two apps.
>
> I've been using VMware products for years, primarily to host development environments on Windows desktops.  It's easy to use, robust, and efficient enough for my needs.  VMware is up front with their licensing; they make commercial products and offer free trial versions for evaluation and home use.  There are numerous community-developed VM's available for the price of a download.  In return, I have my clients buy licenses when I need VMware products on a project.  I haven't done it yet, but VMware's claim to host the same VM in development, test, and production environments is *very* appealing.  (I've always had to deal with differing environments, and it can be nightmare.)
>

> I've looked at VirtualBox and passed it up -- Sun does not offer binaries for their OSS version, they are not up front with their licenses (searching for  'license' did not find any links on the download or FAQ pages), registration is required for some parts but not others, etc..  It strikes me as yet another commercial product with a disingenuous OSS sales pitch.

[Disclaimer: I have never used either of the virtualization products
being discussed here.]

I)  IIANM, many OSS projects don't offer binaries - why should that
bother you, if, as someone else has already pointed out in this thread,
Debian provides them for you?

II))  I'd rely on the Debian project for the license stuff - AFAIK, of
all the major distros, it is one of the most concerned about license
issues.

Celejar