Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 08:51:52PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20091015_144147, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> > I have a couple of questions for you before I delve into details of my
> > recommendaion.
> >
> > What kind of hi-fi are we talking about? Do you have a dedicated
> > listening space or is this for casual listening when doing other
> > things, i.e., are we talking JVC or Pass Labs?
> >
> > How important is it that the software/hardware be GPL free? Would you
> > consider using something Debian based if it offered you truly hi-fi
> > results?
>
> Equipment:
> Adcom GTP-450 Tuner
> Adcom GCD-700 CDcarousel/player
> Adcom GFA-5000 dual audio amp
> Vandersteen Model 2 woofer/mid/tweeter combo (2 ea)
>
> I want to listen to classical music in the family room after my twin
> 8yr old grand-daughters have gone to bed. So dedicated listening but
> not dedicated space. No interest in whole-house sound system. No
> interest in 'quality' head-phones.
>
> I have been out of touch with the high-end audio world since I bought
> this system. I had never heard of Pass Labs until you mentioned them

Get yourself a "qood quality" turntable, Linn Sondek comes to mind, and
some decent vinyl and then you are talking "high end."

More and more people are turning back to records as they realise
anything else is just a compromise.

--
Chris.