Re: Configuring a US keyboard with umlauts in sid (hal etc?)

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 14:59, Howard Eisenberger <howarde@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 2009-11-23, Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> I have a Thinkpad T43p which has a quite complete keyboard, and it comes
>> with US layout. Which I like.  However, I'd also like to be able to
>> easily input german Umlauts.  I don't like the compose approach, it
>> needs too much keypressing for fast typing. Instead I want to use the
>> AltGr key to turn AltGr+a to ä, AltGr+A to Ä and so forth.
>>
>> In lenny this worked fine.  Now I have upgraded to unstable, and it
>> stopped working. I'm writing here to get some help.
>
>> in xorg.conf, I used this definition for my keyboard:
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>  Option  "XkbOptions" "compose:caps,lv3:ralt_switch_multikey,eurosign:e"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Any hints how I should proceed?
>
> You might want to have a look at the setxkbmap command.
>
> I do use compose and previously had this line in the "Input Device"
> Section in my old xorg.conf
>
>      Option  "XkbOptions"  "compose:menu"
>
> My current xorg.conf doesn't have an "Input Device" Section at all
> and I have this line in the startup script for my x-session-manager
> (openbox-session)
>
> setxkbmap -model evdev -option compose:menu
>
> I suppose it depends on how you start X as to where you would put
> this. Someone else may be able to help with that. As far as I know,
> you can run setxkbmap in an x-terminal to test it.

In newer versions, you can put stuff like that in /etc/default/console-setup
or most recently in /etc/default/keyboard  This works on TTYs and X.

e.g. from my  /etc/default/keyboard :

XKBMODEL="jp106"
XKBLAYOUT="jp,us"
XKBVARIANT="OADG109A,intl"
XKBOPTIONS="grp:shift_toggle,ctrl:nocaps"

OP might  need the intl or alt-intl variant of the us layout. I think alt-intl
uses deadkeys, while intl has some AltGr forms and some deadkeys.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers