Inquiry:How to enable "NAT" on Debian 3.1 ?

Dear All
On my Debian 3.1 , I installed the Asterisk 1.4.13 and DECT application software and then when I want to try for "NAT" I issue as the followings :
#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.20.30.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
But it didn't get through . So I checked if the "NAT" is enabled on my Debian server , as the followings :
#echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
But still I cannot try for "NAT" . Can you please let me know which other setings maybe influenced and need to be checked for enabling the "NAT" ?
Thank you in advance