Re: strange aptitude error

On 2009-11-20 17:33 +0100, drz wrote:

> Im facing a problem with aptitude (running testing).
>
> If I run:
> # aptitude update
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct
> the problem.
> Couldnt lock Cache-File ... (translation by me)
> Then download info and:
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct
> the problem.
>
> If I run
> # dpkg --configure -a
> Richte initramfs-tools ein (0.93.4) ...
> update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
> Verarbeite Trigger für initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-2-powerpc
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/FW13 for module b43
> cryptsetup: WARNING: target hda5_crypt uses a key file, skipped
>
> gzip: stdout: No space left on device

This happens when update-initramfs tries to compress the initramfs.
I.e. the device where no space is left is /boot.

> /dev/hda2              93M   69M   20M  78% /boot

That may be a bit small these days with the default update-initramfs
configuration.  If you cannot increase the /boot partition, you need to
free some space another way, e.g.

- remove some old kernels, or just their initramfs

- use MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to reduce the
  size of the initramfs

- use backup_initramfs=no in /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf
  to disable the creation of initrd.img*.bak files in /boot.

Sven