Trouble getting Linksys WUSB54GC v. 3 to work in Lenny

Hello,

I have an older Sony Vaio laptop setup to dual-boot between WinXP and Debian Lenny 5.03 w/ LXDE. This laptop did not come with any wifi buit-in, so I purchased a Linksys WUSB54GC adapter, and thus far I've been having a devil of a time getting it to work in Linux. It works fine in XP, fwiw.

I have internet connection via eth0 to my local network which works as expected. I have updated and upgraded the system as appropriate, and have been trying to work through the process shown in the Debian Wiki here:

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/rt73#rt73usb.28next-generationdriver.29

but when I type 'iwconfig' as directed, I get only this:

vaio:~# iwconfig
l0	no wireless extensions

eth0	no wireless extensions

In other words, no wlan0. Just to be sure, I tried 'ifconfig wlan0 up' as instructed...

vaio:~# ifconfig wlan0 up
wlan0: 	ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

I did some further digging, and found someone going through almost the exact same gyrations a few months back, but no followup so I can't tell if the backports actually worked for him:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/361042

Unfortunately I *tried* that, with no change (other than I now have firmware-ralink 0.17 instead of 0.14 as normally ships with Lenny).

If anyone can help me out here or point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!

TIA,

Monte