Re: Which javas? (Was java / iceweasel)

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 05:43:13PM +0000, Camale?n wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:16:24 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
>
> > In my box the command "update-alternatives --config java" returns the
> > following:
> >
> > There are 3 alternatives which provide `java'.
> >
> >   Selection    Alternative
> > - -----------------------------------------------
> >           1    /usr/bin/gij-4.3
> > *+        2    /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
> >           3    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

I think the main issue is with the libraries and how complete classpath
is compared to the sun one. I believe (last time I looked), that a
majority of the standard java library from sun has been opensourced, but
some small part hasn't.

gij + gcj should produce runnable code from java source, you will see a
lot of deb java package with -gcj helper packages - eclipse and
openoffice.

I have been stung by a few quirky instances where gij/gcj hasn't worked,
so I stick with the sun implementations.

your milage may vary

alex

--
"There may be some tough times here in America. But this country has gone through tough times before, and we're going to do it again."

	- George W. Bush
08/13/2002
Waco, TX