Re: Debian on PPC

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 09:10:58PM -0800, Mark wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:09:42PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I'm very unfamiliar w/ the PPC architecture, but a friend has a laptop
> > he'd like me to install a Linux distro onto.  Debian offers a powerpc
> > version on the downloads page.  Can I expect this to contain all the
> > same packages as the i386 version?
>
> I've used the PPC version of Debian on an old Mac G4 desktop.  Can't vouch
> for the wireless-related items, but putting that G4 side by side with an old
> HP i386 desktop, everything in Debian looked the same to me so I would
> assume you can expect similar results.

I think the real difference is with things (like flash) that are
proprietary and are supported in debian through either non-free or not
at all. There you will find the real differences IMVHO. It's been a
couple of years since I had debian running on a couple of ppc iMacs,
and it certainly worked just fine for most things, but the lack of
flash was a killer for my kids :(  (I try to teach them, but there's
only so much one can do...)