How to get infomations about server crash/freeze

Dear all,

    Our company has an linux server running debian lenny system.

    Last Saturday, i found the websites on the server is not accessable
and ssh cannot connected either. But ping responed.

    I don't know howto deal with such a problem, except call IDS and
request a reboot.

    Well, it's not a good way to 'solve' the problem:-) I guess maybe
there are some logs about the failure or some tools to do record the
failure.

   Please give me your advices.

Best regards,
Zhu Zhixin