To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:47 PM
Subject: Avahi has a problem with bind9 db.local-file and the localzone in named.conf

Package: Bind9
Version: 1:9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1

I have made a default installation of bind and are using it for resolving my networknames.

Everytime i started a fresh installed computer, i did get an icon with : avahi is disabled because your using a .local network.... I did. So I did re-install a few computers, and on the other computers i changed /etc/hosts /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces. Futher i looked at al configuration programs for .local.
I checked this 3 times.
With the dns server off -- i had no messages from avahi.
but with the dns server on -- i got the messages and the disabling of avahi

I did a test (found it on avahi.org):

host -t SOA local.

and did get the next answer:
local has SOA record localhost. root.localhost 2604800 86400 2419200
604800.
I did recognize this as the db.local file from bind9
which is used to define localhost

I did a rename from db.local to db.localhost and changed
in named.conf zone local to zone localhost and db.local in db.localhost

I did again:

host -t SOA local.

and did get the next respons:
host local. not found (3NXDOMAIN)
--> so avahi will NOT disable itsself... (hallelujah!!!)

I waited by the computer after a restart. And saw avahi come on, but didnot get any messages off disabeling avahi.
I looked at the logs nothing. So this is a solution.

Why is this is this a bug ????
Is there a way to get bind9 and avahi work together, using the default
installation names/files. This are default packages!!!
Why do i have to change db.local in db.localhost

There is something NOT compatable with the names of the files in the pacakages !!!

But it works now !!!!

I'm using debian 5.00 with the latest versionss
of avahi 0.6.23
of bind 1:9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1

----- Original Message ----- From: "Avahi" <trac-noreply@tango.0pointer.de>