Re: some lenny problems

Dne, 11. 11. 2009 18:42:29 je Zachary Uram napisal(a):
> 1) There is no bottom gnome panel only the top panel. I want to add
> the bottom panel which shows the minimized windows, the virtual
> workspaces, etc.. And I want this to show up in every session.

Create another user (better if from the command line; the Gnome applet
for creating users has some quirks). Does the new user have all the
panels in place?

> 2) Common packages I could find easily in Ubuntu 9.04 are not in my
> package caches (and yes I just ran apt-get update) such as xchat and
> epic4. I know Debian is more restrictive but what can I add to my
> /etc/apt/sources.list to get these and other apps. Here is my
> sources.list:

Fire up Synaptics. Select the second menu entry from the right (next to
Help) > Repositories > enable the second and third option (contrib &
non-free). Close the dialog. Click the "refresh" button. Wait till
Synaptics does its thing. Now you can use the Search button on its
toolbar and find out if the apps you want are in the repositories.

> 3) Some apps start up with window dimensions that are larger than my
> screen height and thus "fall off" the bottom of the screen! This
> happened with Iceweasel. How can I fix this so that *all* apps will
> be
> forced to resize their window dimensions so as to fit within my
> screen
> resolution?
>
> Thanks!
> Zach

I strongly suspect a wrong (or, more probably -- missing) xorg.conf is
the culprit. You'll either have to tinker with hal definition files
(the ones in xml format) or supply the supported resolutions via
xorg.conf. There's a plethora of template xorg.conf files on the
Internet, or you could boot a good live CD and copy the relevant lines
from its xorg.conf.

--
Regards and good luck,

Klistvud