Re: debian ibook auto suspends to ram on nonuse. [Solved]

On 10:11 Mon 09 Nov     , green wrote:

> I use sleepd for that.

Thank you very much. That works nicely. I need to play with it to get the right behaviour.

Here is how it works on my ibook G4 running sid.

There are 2 packages which work in synergy.
there is

1. pbbuttonsd provides the daemon which controls the powersave routines.

I see that there is a directory
/etc/power/ controlled by the pbbuttonsd daemon which controls the settings
but the main configuration file seems to be in /etc/pbbuttons.conf

2. powerprefs provides a gui to control it

there is a nice gtk gui to set the policies for suspend to ram and
batttery and dimming of the monitor and EMA (emergency action on low battery).

the web site for both packages is
pbbuttons.berlios.de
by matthias grimm.

now for an amd/intel processor with acpi
we can use pm-utils (pm-powersave pm-hibernate
pm-suspend), which i guess must be setup to run with  a daemon such as
sleepd. It would be nice to have a nice directory and control structure such as
set up by pbbuttonsd.

Although he hints that powerprefs gui can be used for other than powerpc, i
dont see any debian packages for using powerprefs gui with the 386
processor. Not that the gui is so very important to us debianers. :).

Mitchell