auto vs user installed

Aptitude marks some packages with '{a}' meaning automatically (or is it
aptitude?) installed and some with '{u}' meaning user installed.

Is it the case that some packages that were in fact automatically
installed are marked as user installed because they were installed
before aptitude started recording that info?

I'm seeing some packages marked '{u}' that I'm sure I never would have
asked for on my own.

--
"The power which a multiple millionaire, who may be my neighbor and my
 employer, has over me is very much less than that which the petit