Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 15:56 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Here's a template where you can fill in your favourites If something
> doesn't fit in any of the categories, put it under misc utilities.
> Please don't add what you haven't really used. You can include more
> than one entrant per category.
I often have more than one entry, because I don't use when I am home, at
work or on the go.

> audio editor:
none
> audio player:
ncmpc/gmpc / rythmbox
> cd-ripper:
which ever is the default in Gnome.
> DBMS:
mysql (and sqlite)
> desktop environment OR window manager:
gnome
> development:
vim
> disc burner:
wodim
> e-mail client:
evolution + squirrelmail
> file manager:
mc + nautilus
> finance:
> ftp client:
mc (midnight commander) /  wget
> games:
> image creator/editor:
gimp & inkscape
> image viewer:
gthumb & eog
> instant messenger:
irssi / xchat
> mathematics:
> misc utilities:
> p2p:
> package manager:
aptitude, dpkg
> pdf/ps-reader:
evince
> spreadsheet:
openoffice
> terminal emulator:
gnome-terminal ; screen
> text editor:
vim
> video player:
totem
> web browser:
iceweasel
> word-processor:
you mean the legacy tool invented in the 80s?
openoffice
> non-free:
aptitude search "?Section(non-free) ~i" -F "%p"

firmware-iwlwifi firmware-linux-nonfree intel-microcode make-doc tar-doc
ttf-xfree86-nonfree unrar w3-recs

> SPECIAL CATEGORIES
> anything unreleased and highly anticipated:
- Squeeze, what else? (especially Debian GNU/kFreeBSD)
- Some docbook viewers (CLI and GUI)

> anything dying/dead:
- info pages

> anything deserving great honours (EG. Linux, GCC):
gpg
> any organisation/community deserving great honours (EG. GNU, Debian):
Debian, Freedesktop, opensource.org...

> any FLOSS developer deserving great honours (max 5 at most, unless you insist):
- Maintainers of components that no one notices (libraries,
  "simple" and so call "standard" utilities...)
- Anonymous contributors

Regards,

Franklin