Re: A laptop installation challenge

AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> writes:

> On one disk I found something that booted into the grub prompt.  I
> did some reading up on grub and some basic commands.  I didn't get
> very far - it reports back that there is an ext2fs loaded on
> /dev/hda1 which I'm assuming was root, although I am sure that when
> I partitioned the drive today I selected ext3.

That's to be expected. Ext3 filesystems are basically ext2 filesystems
with a journal. Many tools will recognize them as ext2 filesystems,
and they can even be mounted, read, and written by pre-ext3 Linux
kernels as if they were ext2 filesystems.

And Andrew is right. If you've got a bootable GRUB disk, then you need
to try that first. You didn't say what GRUB commands you tried, but
did you try something like this:

    root (hd0,0)
    ls
    ## If this fails, try (hd0,1) or (hd0,2) until "ls" gives you what
    ## looks like your newly installed Debian root filesystem.
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-xx.yy.zz-aa-generic root=/dev/hda1
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-xx.yy.zz-aa-generic
    boot

For the kernel and initrd file names, you can use <TAB> to complete
the filenames (or the GRUB "ls" command to poke around until you find
the right names). The "root=/dev/hda1" option might not be
necessary. Try with and without it.

--
Kevin <buhr+debian@asaurus.net>