Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 03:56:48PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Here's a template where you can fill in your favourites If something
> doesn't fit in any of the categories, put it under misc utilities.
> Please don't add what you haven't really used. You can include more
> than one entrant per category.
>
> audio editor:
audacity
> audio player:
mpd/mpc
> cd-ripper:
> DBMS:
postgres
> desktop environment OR window manager: xmonad
> development:
emacs w/ flymake or eclipse for java when I have to do that.
> disc burner:
> e-mail client:
mutt
> file manager:
bash (heh)
> finance:
gnucash
> ftp client:
sftp
> games:
Wesnoth
> image creator/editor:
gimp
> image viewer:
display (imagemajick)
> instant messenger:
irssi w/ irssi-plugin-xmpp
> mathematics:
octave
> misc utilities:
too many to count
> p2p:
> package manager:
aptitude
> pdf/ps-reader:
xpdf
> spreadsheet:
oocalc
> terminal emulator:
rxvt-unicode
> text editor:
emacs
> video player:
mplayer
> web browser:
iceweasel
> word-processor:

emacs for latex, oowriter for occasional stuff

> non-free:
>
> SPECIAL CATEGORIES
> anything unreleased and highly anticipated:
> anything dying/dead:
> anything deserving great honours (EG. Linux, GCC):
> any organisation/community deserving great honours (EG. GNU, Debian):
> any FLOSS developer deserving great honours (max 5 at most, unless
> you insist):

the uncelebrated random user that sends in the one-line
 patch to fix their personally most annoying bug.