Re: ldap over ssl help

On Nov 4, 2009, at 5:41 AM, vitaminx wrote:

I'm trying to setup a secure ldap server, it works fine over the standard port 389 now. but since i access the server remotely i'd like to use ldap over ssl over port 636. however i can't find any howto's for setting that up on debian (i'm working on testing). so i would be happy if anyone has
good links or can give me some hints on how to set it up.

This was pretty helpful for me:

http://www.uvm.edu/ets/projects/ldap/ldapv3.pdf

And of course, the official docs. The Quick Start Guide is a must:

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/

As for the SSL bits, you'll need a certificate. If you don't plan on purchasing one, there are some good HowTos here:

http://sial.org/howto/openssl/

Keep in mind that you can use Start TLS on port 389 (which is what I always do). You don't have to use SSL on 636.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Don't try to tell me a thing is important to you if the whole of your "support" entails forcing others to spend time and money on it.