Re: Tgz Backups

Merciadri Luca wrote:

Γιώργος Πάλλας <gpall@ccf.auth.gr> writes:

Merciadri Luca wrote:

Hi,

I often backup everything of my Debian systems with the tgz utility.

Is it possible to boot a LiveCD, to put the whole content of the tgz
(assuming it is complete) on the partition (assuming there is enough
free space), and to reboot (assuming GRUB is okay)?

I would like to hear others' experience about this.

yes, it is possible. I also keep backup of my system using tar* and I
have at least once successfully restored a working, booting system
after a failure.

* tar use for backup: tar cvSj --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/proc
--exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/dev  --exclude=/sys
/tmp/backup.tar.bz2     /

and this is what I actually use in order to store the system backup in
4GB encrypted chunks, along with an encrypted index of all the files
and an md5sum checksum of the archive (I love one-liners :-) ):
time tar cvSj --exclude=/home/gpall/.local/share/Trash --exclude=/tmp
--exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/dev --exclude=/mnt
--exclude=/media --exclude=/sys / 2> >(gpg -z 9 -e -r gpall -o sysbackup-filelist.gpg) | gpg -z 0 -e -r gpall | tee >(split -b 4000m - sysbackup.tbg.split_) | md5sum > sysbackup.tbg.md5
Nice. How do you restore your system with these archives?

restore?? never thought about that... :-P

restore is easy:
1. live cd boot
2. create partitions and filesystems
3. restore system: cat /media/MYUSBDISK/sysbackup.tbg_split* | gpg -d | tar xvjS"
4. fix GRUB

PS. I would recommend backup and restoring with something like Clonezilla. I use my own way because I run a fully encrypted LUKS system and bit-to-bit copy has a little overhead ;-)