Re: apt-get does not resume downloading

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:00:12 -0600
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> On Monday 02 November 2009 12:36:22 Sthu Deus wrote:
> > apt-get does not resume downloading - on bad connections it just
> > starts downloading all over again.
>
> It does resume downloading, just not in the middle of a single file.
> (It will only download files that are missing.)  Resuming in the
> middle of a file has shown to be problematic and is not supported by
> all the mirrors anyway. Resuming in the middle of a file results in a
> file with a bad checksum more often than restarting the file entirely.

But under some poor network conditions that I, and probably others,
have experienced, the current system renders it virtually impossible to
download large packages (e.g., openoffice.org-common, wesnoth-data),
while resuming would give us at least a fighting chance.  Perhaps a
user-configurable setting would make the most sense?

Celejar