Re: No "Shut Down..." option in "System" menu

> I receive ``the administrator is not allowed to log in from this
> screen.'' I am thus unable to log graphically in as root.

If you're trying to log in as root from gdm, this behaviour is normal.
You should log in as root from another console (tty1, for example), kill
GDM and then startx.

For the "No shutdown" problem, are you running stable? If not, did you
upgrade gnome-power-manager recently? This package has caused such
problems already.