Re: a cautionary tale w/ successful recovery

On Sunday 01 November 2009 17:57:49 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> So here is the real success part of the story: my backups worked! I
> had weekly backups of /etc and daily backups of /home. Since I'd not
> done any work of consequence in about 24 hours, I had not lost data!
> Restoring was a simple matter of copying over from the backup server,
> fixing up a couple of permissions and moving on.
>
> Lessons learned:
> 1) don't do risky things in DOS 6.22 when tired... you can't trust
> DOS to behave in a consistent manner (maybe)
>
> 2) keep a copy of the boot sector lying around (on another machine!!)
> 3) keep a copy of dpkg --get-selections lying around

  Congratulations!

  If it were within my power, I'd award you the Order of the Clue,
the one with the *nice* ribbon.

  For the sysems I back up at work, we do the dpkg --get-selections
thing, but I've never kept a copy of the boot sector -- that's an
excellent idea.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net