RE: Recommended Linux Backup

lrhorer wrote:
> Since in this case the mounted target will never contain more than
> 2TB or at most 3TB of files, rsync will inevitably try to copy the
> other 20 or 30 TB of files every time.  It has no way to look up the
> contents of the 10 or 15 offline hard drives.

I found "Backup & Recovery, Inexpensive Backup Solutions for Open
Systems" [1] to be helpful.  My needs are ~400 GB, so rsync, tar, gzip,
and an external 1.5 TB drive work for me.  For 30 TB and/ or a "catalog
& tapes" model, I'd suggest looking at Amanda [2] and Bacula [3].

HTH,

David

[1] Curtis Preston, 2007, "Backup & Recovery, Inexpensive Backup
Solutions for Open Systems", ISBN:978-0-596-10246-3,
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596102463/

[2] The Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver,
http://www.amanda.org/

[3] BaculaR - The Open Source Network Backup Solution,
http://www.bacula.org/en/