Re: OpenVPN

On Wednesday, 28 October 2009 07:39:18 -0700,
peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> Daniel,

Hi, Peter.

> > Until this instance, starting a OpenVPN client in the office I could
> > verify that the tunnel is established, but I can only reach the
> > OpenVPN server. The rest of hosts of my LAN is unareachables.
> > I have the impression that continues existing some routing problem
> > somewhere. Some idea of what can be the problem?
>
> For a few years now I've run a VPN similar to what you describe.
> http://carnot.yi.org/NetworksPage.html
>
> Observe entries such as "route 172.23.4.2" and
> "# route shawmail.gv.shawcable.net" in
> dalton: ... myvpn.conf.
>
> "route 172.23.4.2" allows a machine such as
> Cantor at UBC to transmit to Curie at home.
>
> "route shawmail.gv.shawcable.net" allows Cantor
> at UBC to send a message through the tunnel to
> the SMTP server of my home ISP.  The server will
> not accept the message unless it comes from my
> LAN.  With this routing, the UBC and home LANs
> are in effect one LAN.  The domain name for SMTP
> is associated with two IP addresses.  For
> routing to be reliable, both addresses must
> specified explicitly.
>
> Shorewall is a superb example of open source
> software.  Documentation is excellent.

Now I'm doing tests but this time with the OpenVPN server in the office
and a client in my house. The OpenVPN server is behind firewall of the
office.

In these tests the tunnel is established between the client in my house
and the OpenVPN server in the office. These are the tests that I got to
do:

1.- Server with IP forwarding disable and no change in the present
configuration of firewall: the client in my house is only able to reach
to the OpenVPN server.

2.- Server with IP forwarding enable and no change in the present
configuracion of firewall: same result that (1).

3.- Server with IP forwarding enable and I added the following routing
rule in firewall: I can arrive additionally at firewall, but at no other
host of the same network.

# route add -net 10.8.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.0.0.38

This is the configuration of the client in my house:

# cat /etc/openvpn/client1
client
proto udp
dev tun
remote aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 1194  # with aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd the public IP of OpenVPN server
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert client1.crt
key client1.key
comp-lzo
verb 3
ns-cert-type server

This is the configuration of the server in the office:

# cat /etc/openvpn/server.conf
port 1194
proto udp
dev tun

ca /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/ca.crt
crl-verify /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/crl.pem
cert /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/server.crt
key /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/server.key  # This file should be
kept secret
dh /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/dh1024.pem

server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0

ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt

keepalive 10 120

comp-lzo

user nobody
group nogroup

persist-key
persist-tun

status /var/log/openvpn-status.log

verb 3

push "route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0"
push "dhcp-option DNS 10.0.0.11"
push "dhcp-option DOMAIN local.net"

Local network: 10.0.0.0/24
VPN network:   10.8.0.0/24

In the configuration of Shorewall I only added a rule of DNAT to the
OpenVPN server:

# DGB - 20091029 - OpenVPN
DNAT   inet     saav:10.0.0.38                udp     1194    -    aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

According to I see comparing what you have, is something different my
configuration (road warrior?), but I have the impression that the problem
that is existing is of routing of the side of the office.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37