Recent sid problems - proompting for removal of lvm/dmsetup/cryptsetup

  For the past few days my sid system (AMD64) has been trying
 to remove LVM, cryptsetup, and dmsetup.

  Given that my system is based upon LVM and I have several
 encrypted volumes I've not yet accepted these decisions.

  This is current output:

  # apt-get upgrade
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
    capplets-data gnome-accessibility gnome-applets gnome-applets-data
    gnome-bluetooth gnome-cards-data gnome-control-center gnome-core
    gnome-games gnome-games-data gnome-power-manager gnome-session gnome-session-bin
    gnome-settings-daemon gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad libavcodec52
    libavformat52 libgnome-window-settings1 libgstreamer0.10-0 nautilus

  Running dist-upgrade shows this:

  # apt-get dist-upgrade
The following packages will be REMOVED
  cryptsetup dmsetup epiphany-browser epiphany-extensions libseed0 libslab0 lvm2
The following NEW packages will be installed
  devicekit-disks devicekit-power hdparm libatasmart4 libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-gtk-0.10-0 libdevkit-power-gobject1 libgnomekbd4 libmpcdec6 libslab0a libx264-78
  libxklavier15 obexd-client
  capplets-data gnome-accessibility gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-bluetooth gnome-cards-data gnome-control-center gnome-core gnome-games gnome-games-data
  gnome-power-manager gnome-session gnome-session-bin gnome-settings-daemon gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad libavcodec52 libavformat52 libgnome-window-settings1
  libgstreamer0.10-0 nautilus
20 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 53.8MB/53.8MB of archives.

  So .. am I missing something obvious?  Is there a bogus conflict here which is
 messing me about?  Or horror of horror - Am I crazy and is removing LVM the
 correct thing to do these days?

  Please bear in mind my root filesystem, amongst others, are LVM-mounts:

/dev/mapper/gold--vol-root on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro)

  TIA for any guidance.

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration