Re: System logs are being logged to wrong files

30.10.2009 22:56, P K kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> Kindly CC me when replying, I am not subscribed. Thanks. Now:
>
> I am using Debian/Sid (sidux actually) on a i686 machine. Over the
> past few months, I have seen various logs being logged to the wrong
> files, ie, they are being logged to the xyzlog.1 file instead of the
> xyzlog files. For example, consider the datestamps & sizes of the
> following files (obtained using [1], output edited):
>
> Modification         Change               Size   Filename
> 2009-10-30 14:59:14  2009-10-30 14:59:14  0     auth.log
> 2009-10-30 16:43:18  2009-10-30 16:43:18  4901  auth.log.1
>
> As you can see from the size and timestamps:
> 1. logs for auth, daemon, kern, syslog are sent to the wrong file (*.1)
> 2. logs for dpkg, kdm, mail, user seems to be OK.
> Does anyone know what may be causing such a behavior? I can provide
> further information, as needed.

This is just a wild guess, but it seems that your logger is keeping the
files open, and it was not restarted when the logrotate named the logs
again. Seems that the logger had auth.log open, and Linux just keeps
writing to that file (INODE) no matter if the name was changed.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/