Re: moving lv from local VG to a remote VG

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:24:57AM +0100, Javier Barroso wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Israel Garcia <igalvarez@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry if it's OT, but we have a debian lenny with a big VG1 a some LVs
> > inside and want to move all LV's  from VG1 to another VG2 located in
> > other server. Is it possible?
>
> - Create LV in VG2 with the same size from LVs in VG1
> - cat /dev/VG1/lv1 | ssh server2 "cat > /dev/VG2/lv1"

also, never underestimate the bandwidth of a stationwagon full of
{magnetic tape | harddrives | thumbdrives}. In other words, if the amount of
data is significant enough, the best solution can be to physically move
the data instead of trying to shove it through a skinny pipe
(skinniness of said pipe being inversely proportional to the amount of
data).