Re: Where is /etc/environment involved?

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 05:38:05PM +0800, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> I looked over the init scripts. I cannot find the exact place that
> reads /etc/environment.

pam_env.so is part of the PAM auth setup.  Note you should really
use /etc/security/pam_env.conf instead, AFAICT /etc/environment is
read for backwards compatibility, but is deprecated.

Also look at the files in /etc/pam.d.  Services such as login, ssh
and gdm/kdm which start user sessions have lines like:

session       required   pam_env.so readenv=1

which set up the user environment using /etc/security/pam_env.conf
and/or /etc/environment.

Regards,
Roger

--