wicd fails to detect wifi networks

Dear all
More wicd blues. Some time ago I reported that wicd was failing to
start the GUI [1]. After getting more and more dishearten with
NetworkManager, I gave wicd another try. This time the wicd GUI starts
all right, but it identifies a wired connection to which it tries to
connect (even though no wire is plugged to the laptop). Most
annoyingly, it does not find any wireless networks (as if the wifi
radio was killed, although it is well up). All this is on Debian
testing with wicd and dependencies up-to-date.

Any ideas on how to fix the issue? Thank you
Liviu

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg555595.html

--
Do you know how to read?