Re: Debian 5

On 20091022_095833, Tanco . wrote:
> Which rare intel CPUs?
> p4 core2duo , p4 D series processors.. got nothing
> however even if the cpu version is wrong..
> the start screen should show up?
> I get completely nothing from the Install?

Tanco,

I think all Debian install disks are configured to boot on the target
hardware. They contain boot sector information which includes
executable machine code for the target cpu. The OS that they load onto
the hardware can only function on the target hardware type. On your
hardware, ia64 machine code crashes well before it is in any condition
to issue an error message, much less paint a multicolored screen
image.

It is misleading to suggest that the problem is that ia64 is a rare
or unpopular or whatever architecture. Try the CD for PowerPC
architecture, or for ARM. I think you will experience the same
behavior (that is if you are not actually using PowerPC or ARM ;-)

HTH
Paul