Re: How to REALLY restart networking?

Dne, 19. 10. 2009 10:33:20 je Klistvud napisal(a):
> A little update:
> -- tried noapic but the problem persists
> -- tried nolapic but then the kernel only recognized one of my two
> CPUs, so I reverted back
> -- restarting /etc/init/dbus doesn't solve the issue
> -- restarting /etc/init/dhcdbd doesn't solve the issue
> -- restarting /etc/init/networking doesn't solve the issue
> -- restarting /etc/init/network-manager doesn't solve the issue
> -- restarting /etc/init/network-manager-dispatcher doesn't solve the
> issue
> -- restarting /etc/init/wpa-ifupdown doesn't solve the issue
> -- rmmoding ssb doesn't solve the issue
> -- rmmoding wl doesn't solve the issue
> -- rmmoding ieee80211_crypt doesn't solve the issue
> -- modprobing the above modules doesn't help either
> -- issuing depmod -a doesn't help either
> -- killing the Gnome nm-applet and restarting it doesn't help either
>
> -- ifconfig and iwconfig list my wireless interface as if everything
> was OK, with the exception of the ESSID being empty (and the wireless
> interface not being associated to the AP of course)
>
> -- putting the laptop to sleep (suspending it to RAM) resolves the
> issue, upon resuming from sleep the nm-applet finds the AP and
> connects
> to it flawlessly.
>
> All in all: there is some process/reset/service restart or whatever
> which gets triggered during a reboot and during a suspend which I
> can't
> seem to pinpoint. For now, a quick suspend-to-RAM followed by a quick
> wake-up enables me to avoid rebooting every day, but that's certainly
> not elegant and most certainly not a "solution"... :(
>

> --
> Certifiable Loonix User #481801
>

> --

To anybody that may be interested: whereas the above statement is
correct for my laptop (a HP Compaq 6715b with a Broadcom BCM4328
wireless card), it is not correct for our home desktop (with a Belkin
PCMCIA Pre-N wireless card): in fact, on the desktop, as opposed to the
laptop, *restarting dbus does solve the non-connectivity issue* -
thanx, Sjoerd Hardeman!

I should add that the laptop uses the proprietary wl Broadcom driver,
whereas the desktop uses ndiswrapper.

--
Regards,

Klistvud