Re: find LVM volume group of a volume

2009/10/18 Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org>:
> On Sun Oct 18, 2009 at 21:56:50 +0200, Guillaume CHARDIN wrote:
>
>> But, when i try to use it with lvdisplay with
>> '/dev/mapper/VGNAME-LVNAME' as argument, the command fail.
>
>  Try running lvdisplay with no arguments to see a list.
>
>  Then you'll see output like this:

Yes of course.
But my goal is to build a backup script to automaticaly create a
snapshot of an LV mounted somewhere. So either the volume group name
or the logical volume name is unknown
In my process I do a 'reverse' research to find it out. Something like that :

#mount | awk some-args                     #and return something like this :
  [...many mounted devices...]
  /dev/mapper/VGNAME-LVNAME /mount/point       #the line i want to find !

#lvdisplay /dev/mapper/VGNAME-LVNAME   | grep "VG Name"

=> the previous command should return the value of the VG name of my
LV but... Not because it fails :)

--
Guillaume