Re: transfer an installed package

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 06:32, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
<eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
> Hashimoto wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Is there any way to transfer an installed package from one computer
>> (ubuntu) to another one (debian)?
>
> No, but for compatible distributions[0] you can transfer the .deb files
> (and any other packages needed as dependencies) and install it in the
> other system.
>
> [0]Which is not the case with Debian and Ubuntu, despite Ubuntu being
> based on Debian.

Sure they are compatible. Not 100%, but it works. At one point shortly
before Lenny went stable (and thus testing and even unstable where
not getting major updates), I was impatient and added Ubuntu repos
to sources.list. I don't know how many packages I had from Ubuntu,
but it was all of Xorg and all of Cups, plus some other things. It worked
ok, and when Lenny went stable and everything unfroze, I moved back
to pure Debian, as newer versions came in.

Sometimes Ubuntu packages are not installable due versions of
libs not being in sync - e.g. it something requires a newer version
of glib or GTK or something. Currently, I think Testing and Unstable
should handle Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 fine. Stable might need
packages from an older version.

Although this is possible, I don't advise it unless you are very
comfortable with package management, and as problems can
occur, and you need to be able to back out the changes

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers