Re: Thinkpad Touchpad no longer works

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 02:12:59PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:42:05 +0100
> Barry Samuels <barry@beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:

> > SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to
> > be missing
> >
> > What would that mean?
>
> Not sure, but in the kernel config, there's something called
> CONFIG_INPUT_DEV (Device Drivers / Input device support / Event
> interface).  From its help:
>
> "Say Y here if you want your input device events be accessible
> under char device 13:64+ - /dev/input/eventX in a generic way.
>
> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
> module will be called evdev."
>
> Perhaps your kernel doesn't have this enabled?

from the tone of the prior thread, I assume it's a stock kernel, so,
OP, let us know if it's not.

Apropos the xorg log, if the synaptics module can't find the device
then it won't work, I would assume :)

Can you provide the logs of what packages you upgraded that brought
about this failure? I'm thinking maybe this points to a hal problem,
perhaps (but know nothing about hal...).