How to replicate the behaviour of /usr/local

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

I have a shared directory on my system; what I'd like to achieve is
making every newly created (or copied from elsewhere) file belong to
the group owner "users". In short, I have been trying to replicate the
behaviour of the /usr/local directory. Let me explain: if I copy a file
(any file from anywhere) with Nautilus or Gnome-Commander
to /usr/local, the original file owner group gets changed to
"staff" automagically. I'm trying to make my /home/shared dir behave
the same way. I've tried playing with chmod and chown, I've even cloned
the directory permissions (with 'chmod --reference=/usr/local') to my /
home/shared directory, but that didn't help. Is this behaviour
implemented via file permissions at all, or via some system-wide
setting or what?

TIA
--
Certifiable Loonix User #481801