Re: initramfs-tools does not add dm-mod.ko to initrd for kernels 2.6.30-2-686 and kernels 2.6.30-2-686-bigmem

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:42:00 -0400
Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On 15:47 Thu 15 Oct     , Jack Schneider wrote:
> > Hi, Mitchell
> > FWIW I have exactly the same problem...  Whew !!!  I didn't cause
> > this mess....I hope!!!
> >
> > Thanks more that you know... BTW I haven't fix mine yet... But
> > getting some help.
> >
> > Jack
>
> I have identified the problem.
>
> dist-upgrade was the problem:
>
> 1. lvm2 requires dmsetup
> 2. devicekit-disks conflicts with dmsetup
> 3. gnome-control-center and other gnome crap need devicekit-disks
> 4. so lvm2 and dmsetup get kicked out to rc status
> 5. then you can't boot with your kernel if / is on lvm2

Hi, Mitchell
Just some nits.  I really am happy you found the glitch.
I just wanted to let you know that my raid1 system is a bit different.
My /boot & /root partitions are on /md0 (not under LVM2).  I have 7
partitions under /md1, but /home /var /tmp are 3 of those partitions.
'Don't know if that affects your analysis, which is undoubtedly
correct, but may require some extension..  If you are going to file a
bug report, you may suggest that more complexity may/can exist.  I was
going to reinstall as a cruft clean-up exercise.  Not Now!!  Until
this gets fixed...
Thanks, for your effort.. Keep me informed please...

Jack