Re: Cannot empty trash because of permission problems

Lorenzo Beretta <lory.fulgi@infinito.it> writes:

> Merciadri Luca ha scritto:
>>
>> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> On my Debian Lenny, I am unable to empty the trash because of
>>> permission problems. For example, I have a .jar file, and when I
>>> choose to "Empty Trash," I receive:
>>>
>>> "Error while deleting.
>>> "/home/merci...4-1131.jar" cannot be deleted because you do not have
>>> permissions to modify its parent folder."
>>>
>>> Where is the trash folder located in my /home/?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> --
>>> Merciadri Luca
>>> See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
>>> --
>>
>> Thanks for your answers. It must be obvious, but how do you empty the
>> trash in a terminal? Do I have to delete the specified folder (if
>> any)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> - --
>> Merciadri Luca
>> See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
>>

> if you *really* have to:
> $ cd ~/.local/share/Trash/files
> $ ls
> $ rm -fr *
>
> ... that is, what you posted before, I don't think there's a special
> command.
> You may put that in a script if you like the idea (remember to check
> that chdir succeeds...), but if I were you I'd try to fix the
> permission problem: does it happen with every file? can you reproduce
> it with a new file? If yes - what are the permissions of
> ~/.local/share/Trash? and so on
Okay my last message was not posted. There is no permission problem
anymore: it was due to a mere folder. I do not have the problem
anymore. Permissions of my Trash are standard, everything works fine,
now. I do not remember how I managed to put to trash such a folder,
but that was the cause of my problem.

Thanks.
- --
Merciadri Luca