Re: How to REALLY restart networking?

Dne, 14. 10. 2009 15:18:13 je Paul Cartwright napisal(a):
> On Wed October 14 2009, Klistvud wrote:
> > Problem is, I'm afraid to do that and break up my current
> > configuration which, be it as it may, "kinda works". Both machines
> are
> > quite important to me, as they are
> > used daily by my wife and me for our job. I'm too much of a newbie
> > reconfigure a network interface from DHCP to static without
> breaking
> > anything. I honestly fear I could never get it to the pristine
> state
> > again -- and a complete reinstall is out of the question.
>
> I have these lines in my /etc/network/interfaces file:
>
> #new dhcp setup
> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
> #allow-hotplug eth0
> #auto eth0
>
> # static setup
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.10.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.10.1
>
> I use them whenever I have to change from DHCP to static ( I normally
> keep it
> static, but sometimes I need dhcp, when I am playing with my router)
> what you do is uncomment the lines you want, save the file and issue
> the
> commands:
> #ifdown eth0
> #ifup eth0
>
> static lines:
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.10.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.10.1 ( my router, yours may be different;)
>

> DHCP lines:
>
> #new dhcp setup
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> allow-hotplug eth0
> #auto eth0
>

> just comment out one set or the other & do ifdown/up.
>
> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459

Thanx for the input. This is my e/n/i:

<snip>

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface dsl-provider inet ppp
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
provider dsl-provider

</snip>

As may be readily seen, the wireless interface (eth1) is not even
mentioned therein: it's obviously managed dynamically by network-
manager. That's why I'm reluctant to mess with it, lest I break it
beyond repair.

Furthermore, there was this article stating that configuring the e/n/i
file was *not enough* (on Debian at least):

http://krzysztofcierpisz.blogspot.com/2009/04/debian-change-from-dhcp-
to-static-ip.html

And all this from a guy
who, in his own words, goes xp (extreme programming) -- not from a
newbie like me! No wonder I'm afraid to touch anything in my Debian
config files ... At least until I get to know my OS a little better ...

--
Certifiable Loonix User #481801